Register

Adjustable Trailing Arm Conversion Kit Type 2

Share your experiences, tips and tricks

Adjustable Trailing Arm Conversion Kit Type 2

Postby Toaster » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:03 am

I'm fairly new to all of this stuff as I recently bought a 1989 Z31 300zx N/A a couple weeks ago, but I have been looking into suspension extensively since then because the suspension on my car hasn't seen any attention in 26 years and 140,00 miles, and the bushings and shocks/struts seem to be completely shot. I love the car, but I've found that finding parts for it is somewhat difficult to say the least. I've already decided I'm not going the coilover route as I don't need that level of adjustability and my driving skills aren't anywhere near good enough to reap the benefits on an autocross course yet. I've settled on a set of Bilstein HDs and a full Prothane bushing kit for the car, and I know I want to lower it at least an inch with whatever springs I buy (I know ST Suspension used to make springs but it looks like I'm now limited to OEM or Eibachs). I'm aware of the negative camber issues of the Z31 when it comes to lowering and I have been looking at various solutions for a while now.

That's when this system you have for sale caught my eye. I was just wondering if this system has been proven and tested extensively? It seems like a much more elegant solution compared to the somewhat crude existing fixes for the camber. I'm also wondering if I could do this install myself and if all the hardware needed is included (I have decent mechanical experience and I can weld well enough). If it hasn't been tested out in the real world much, I'd definitely love to be a guinea pig!

Site Admin

Re: Adjustable Trailing Arm Conversion Kit Type 2

Postby support » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:22 am

So it's been several months since these kits started making it onto roads and tracks around North America, and performance has been flawless.

One of the early adopters in California has racked up close to 10,000 road miles, doing windy mountain runs regularly, and some parking lot hooning. Since he's had the kit installed, there were numerous problems with tierods, bearings, coilover locks loosening, steering rack movement, steering u-joint failure etc... the trailing arm kit during that time only suffered one seized jamnut.

An early adopter in Quebec has survived many all-weekend drifting events, including a few jumps, performing predictably every time. His last event was brought to an early end by a leaky fuel tank, causing a small fire behind the bumper.

In some strange ironic twist, it seems that while everything else seems to go wrong on the cars, the trailing arm kits just keep working.

Return to Product Support/Feedback